The building was designed in 1937 to host the Mostra della Publio Morbiducci PDF Romana during the 1942 World Fair by Italian architects Giovanni Guerrini, Ernesto Bruno La Padula and Mario Romano. It is particularly symbolic of this district, exemplifying its monumentality.
Volume-catalogo della mostra a Roma presso la Galleria Ricerca d’Arte in via Giulia (5/12/2000 – 5/01/2001), con scritti di Claudio Strinati, Anna Maria Morbiducci e Francesco Maria Petrone, nota bio-bibliografica, schede delle opere, schede delle 103 opere in mostra, guida ai luoghi di Publio Morbiducci in Roma e fuori Roma. “Morbiducci è definitivamente uscito dall’oblio con la mostra monografica dell’Accademia Nazionale di San Luca del novembre-dicembre 1999 ideata e curata da Nicoletta Cardano. Ne è emersa una nobile figura di artista che incarna come meglio non si potrebbe tanti aspetti e problemi dell’intellettuale italiano prima, durante e immediatamente dopo il fascismo, sospeso tra dubbi, perplessità, voglia di promozione di sé stesso e della realtà politica che lo condiziona al mutare dei tempi (Claudio Strinati).
The exhibition was cancelled on June 3, 1941, while the building was being finished. It stood empty, abandoned for over a decade. The building opened its doors to the public for the first time in 1953. Between 2003 and 2008, the palace was closed to the public for restoration. Since 2015, it has housed the headquarters of luxury fashion label Fendi, and will continue to do so for the next 15 years at least. 8 million euros per annum to occupy the space.
An exhibition, entitled “Una Nuova Roma”, about the history of the EUR district was on display until March 7, 2016, on the ground floor of the building. The design of the “Square Colosseum” was inspired more to celebrate the Colosseum, and the structure was intended by Benito Mussolini as a celebration of the older Roman landmark. The palace is entirely clad in travertine marble, as is characteristic of buildings in the EUR. It is a parallelepiped on a square base, with six levels rising above a podium. At the four corners of the podium are placed four equestrian sculptural groups by Publio Morbiducci and Alberto de Felci, representing the Dioscuri, the two mythical Greek heroes, sons of Zeus and Leda.
About the base of the building are 28 additional statues of approximately 3. Wikimedia Commons has media related to Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana. Fendi’s New Headquarters Are a Fascist Icon Blouin Artinfo, July 18, 2013. Fendi Relocates To A Roman Palace Vogue. Scritti e discorsi di Benito Mussolini. The internal façade of Porta Pia. The breach of Porta Pia, on the right, in a contemporaneous photograph following the Capture of Rome in 1870.
Porta Pia is a gate in the Aurelian Walls of Rome, Italy. One of Pope Pius IV’s civic improvements to the city, it is named after him. A replacement was needed because of the new urban area, which could no longer provide access through the ancient Porta Nomentana for the Via Nomentana. Most experts consider that Michelangelo was concerned with creating picturesque and dramatic facades to fulfill their important symbolic function as an entrance to Rome. The gate is further emphasized by his positioning of the portal at the end of strada Pia, which resumed the route of the ancient “Alta Semita”.